Truk has lived up to its reputation as the world’s best wreck diving. Amazing diving with a great crew. ...Will Delves - UK
Only have a few minutes left before we depart… therefore a short note. What a fantastic week’s diving..!!! Far exceeded my expectations of diving this famous and historical site. Our dive guide Tomo was an absolute genius. Thank you Tomo, and thank you THORFINN. ...Sue Wells - UK
Ship specs for SS Thorfinn, IMO No. 5359901, Specifications
- Length, overall 170ft / 58m
- Beam 30ft / 10m
- Draft17ft / 5.5m
- Displacement: 1,100 tons
- Fuel Capacity: 100,000 gals
- Consumption/Speed: 7 tons/day &12 kts, 11 tons/day @ 17 kts.
- Water Capacity: 18,000 gals
- Cruising Range: 12,000 naut. miles @ 12 knots cruising
- Maximum Speed: 17 knots
- Stord Shipyards, Norway, 1954 – as Ice Class Antarctic whaler
- Batangas, Philippines 2008 – major repairs, internal/external rebuildings
- Batangas, Philippines, 2005 – steel replacement / renewal, extensive renovations
- Cairns, Australia, 1995/6 – extensive renovations, upgrades
- Vancouver, B.C., 1977 – to Charter cruiser
Accommodations / Facilities:
- 10 double occupancy rooms for 20 guests.
- 13 Toilets, 11 Showers, eight in private facility guest rooms.
- ‘A’ deck with topside controls, electronics mast.
- ‘B’deck with navigation bridge forward, chartroom/business center, liferafts, emergency beacons, dive launch storage, aft sun deck with lounge chairs and shade canopy.
- ‘C’ deck Guest Lounge seating 30 persons, bar, DVD and reading library, surround sound CD/player with I-pod connex, 44in. multi System Plasma TV, guest PC with SatCom Internet. Guestrooms 9,10,11.
- ‘C’ deck Spa Area with 11 person spa, 2 camera service/storage tables, adjacent deck chairs.
- ‘D’ deck forward interior with Dining Room, 5 tables seating 26 persons, view windows, galley, bookcase.
- ‘D’ deck aft interior with Boatique (handicrafts, t-shirts, postcards), dive service center, steering flat. Thor’s Lair, a large luxury room with finest appointments, and Room 3.
- ‘E’ deck with Guest rooms 4,5,6,7,8.
- 1 x Icom IC-M 700 Med. Freq. SSB radio telephones
- 1 x Icom IC-M 80 25w VHF radio telephone
- 1 x Sailor RT 144 25 wVHF radio telephone
- 3x Standard Horizon 25w VHF radio telephones, 2 located on dive launches
- 1 x Alden Marinefax IV weather facsimile unit
- 1 x Kenwood R-2000 multi-band radio receiver
- 3 x standard Mod. HX 250S hand held portable VHF r/t’s
- 1 x Trimble Galaxy Sentinel Inmarsat-C Comsat terminal
- 1x Inmarsat Sailor Fleet BroadBand 500 Comsat terminal, with wi-fi terminal to entire ship
- 1 x Iridium IOP comsat terminal for auxiliary Broadband backup
- Main Engine: Fredriksstad Mek 4 cyl. double compound steam reciprocating – 2,500 h.p. @ 140 rpm
- Boilers: 2 x Foster Wheeler D type 18,000 lbs./hr @ 250 psi, 600 deg F superheat).
- 2 x Yanmar 6HAL-DTN diesels driving Marathon 250 kw 220 VAC 3 phs 60Hz generators
- 1 x Mitsubishi aux generator driving 40 kw 220 VAC 3 phs 60 Hz generator Ships power supply is both 220 and 110 V single and 3 phs 60 Hz outlets.
- Steam: 1 x 12 in. , 1x 8 in., 2x 3 in. Gen. Service
- Electric: 6 x 2 in. submersibles
- Gasoline fire pump: 1 x 2 in. Standby Emergency
- Oily water separator: REC Boss 107 system
- GPS: 2 x Magellan Nav DLX-10
- Radars: 2 x Furuno Model 1954C 15kw radars feeding Navnet VX2 GD -1920C color video plotters.
- Main Compass: Furuno Satellite Compass SC 30 via an AMI-GMV KW 941-D stepper retransmitter unit
- Gyro Pilot:Wagner Mk IV
- Loran: Si-tex Koden Loran C 797
- Sonar: Furuno Network sounder Model ETR-6/10N
- Component built R / O system producing (2,500 gals / day)
- 8 individual systems with combined 30 tons output capacity
- Kort Design 4 blade Superston, 12′ 6″ diam x 13′ 6″ pitch.
- 2 x 3,800 lbs ea. stockless with 8 shots (64 fms) of 1 3/4″ stud link chain)
Dive Air Compressors:
- 1 x Bauer Model IK 15.1 ll unit producing 21 cfm to 5000 psi
- 1 x Bauer/Poseidon P 201 of 7.5 cfm to 5,000 psi
- Dive cylinders: 90 pcs 80 cu. ft standard alloy; 10 pcs 100 cu ft; and 20 pcs 30 – 40 cu ft ponies; 9 sets manifolded /banded double 80’s.
- Breathing gas storages: 6000 cu. ft. air supply @ 5000 psi; 2,400 cu ft Oxygen@ 2,000 psi
- Fill stations: 2 x 4 cyl. manifold setups Port / Starb’rd, in water filling
- Rentals (6 full sets of gear incl. computers, reg’s, BCD’s, fins, masks, lights, SMB’s).
- Oxygen Generators: 2 x OGSI Mod. 2020 producing 960 cu ft daily
- O2 Blending System for EAN Nitrox and Tri-mix provisos – via deck located Masterline electric gas booster
- 2 x 30 ft RIB Heavy Duty Aluminum, covered – Twin Yamaha 150′s
- 2 x 24 ft Kellahan Mfg heavy duty alloy modified V, with twin Yamaha 60′s
- 1 x 24 ft Ozawa heavy duty modified fiberglass, with twin Yamaha 40′s